New times. New horizons.
Covid-19 has profoundly changed Munich Airport’s business environment. In «the new normal», strategic answers must be found to a wide range of challenges.
Significant external influencing factors
Intensification of the competitive environment
- Strong non-European competition for airport hubs
- Volatility due to global crises
High regulatory requirements
- Airport operations
- Site development
Intensification of the climate discourse
- Climate protection measures
Behavioral changes of air travelers
- Awareness for sustainability
- High dynamics in digitalization
Key stakeholder expectations
- Functioning and smooth air-side processes and technical supply
- Suitable and reliable infrastructure with development potential
Air travelers and visitors
- Wide range of destinations and connections worldwide
- Shopping and catering facilities in the terminals and in the visitor park
- Responsible employer and secure employment
- Promotion of diversity
Politics and authorities
- Good governance and compliance
- Sustainable corporate policy
Passenger traffic at German airports
Source: German Airports Association (Arbeitsgemeinschaft
Deutscher Verkehrsflughäfen e.V. – ADV), December 2021
Strategic Vision 2030
Munich Airport regains its top position among among European hubs.
Economic premium hub
As a customer- and profit-oriented premium hub, Munich Airport aims to offer quality and service in line with the market and demand from its own economic strength and to secure sustainable value growth at the Munich hub location with proven airport expertise.
Green mobility hub
As a green mobility hub, the company will expand the integrated and intermodal mobility offering on the land and air sides in the interests of more efficient infrastructure and resource use and, together with partners, assume ecological responsibility.
The airport is developing into a flexible, performance-oriented and modern company with economic, digital and value-creating structures as well as a wide range of prospects and development opportunities for employees.
Decisions are consistently made in all areas on the basis of customer needs.
To be ready for the challenges of the future, Munich Airport is increasing its responsiveness and evolving into a more flexible and adaptable organization.
The company is growing in value through the further development of its product and service portfolio as well as through diversification independent of location and air traffic.
Munich Airport is making targeted use of the opportunities offered by digitalization to leverage sustainability and productivity potential and specify customer requirements.
Guiding principles and objectives
Munich, as a premium hub, operates efficiently, delights its customers, and becomes an industry-wide role model for sustainable air traffic – a modern company with sustainable connections.
A role model in sustainable infrastructure
Munich Airport is an industry-wide role model for sustainable air traffic. Only those who manage to operate consistently in the interests of stakeholders and the market and to grow sustainably will remain successful in the long term: economic efficiency is just as important as social and ecological responsibility.
FMG is a responsible corporate group and promotes «change» across all hierarchical levels. FMG understands attractive employment conditions to mean not only a modern work and management culture, but also the ongoing qualification and skills development of employees. This includes a high willingness to change and mutual motivation.
The company invests in innovations that are geared to the needs of its stakeholders. Smart, digital solutions increase adaptability and differentiate Flughafen München GmbH (FMG) from international competitors. Digitalization helps to optimize processes, increase efficiency, and also generate new revenues in off-campus growth.
High quality and economic success are not contradictory, but rather consolidate the positioning as an international premium hub. Air travelers and visitors experience this claim in a high quality of stay and process. The airport maintains trusting and long-term relationships with its partners. The brand ensures consistency, serves as a guideline for action, and provides direction both internally and externally.
Munich Airport has broken down the strategic goals of the Strategic Vision 2030 into its business segment strategies.
Ensure competitiveness and expand profitability as a premium hub
- Maintain and expand hub positioning with system partnerships
- Add value to intrastructure offering to exploit opportunities in the marketplace
- Holistic development of cargo/logistics business
- Ensure efficient cost structure and operations while maintaining market-driven quality and service levels
Secure and increase value contribution in the face of changing consumer behavior
- Optimize space efficiency and improve frequency and the willingness to make purchases at consumption points
- Make cost structures more flexible and further develop partnerships
- Understand customers as a whole and address them consistently across channels
- Dynamically adapt offerings and enhance quality of stay through experiences
- Actively shape mobility and transport connections for customers with integrated supply and revenue management
Market airport expertise for value-creating growth beyond the airport site
- Identify further opportunities via consulting and management of other airports’ operations
- Market airport expertise in third-party business to achieve opportunities for value-added domestic as well as international growth and risk reduction
- Exploit synergies between the business units at the Munich site for expertise and innovation
Secure airport infrastructure and position real estate business on the third-party market
- Support infrastructure in a modern, needs-based, and holistic way
- Cost-efficiently align lifecycle and requirements management with demand development
- Position real estate business as third-party business and ensure efficient real estate management
- Increase flexibility of infrastructure and accelerate implementation
- Optimize land transport connections